Tuesday, August 26, 2008

lost & claimed


I was only 14 yrs old when these earrings entered my life. A girl by the name of Liz Pugh slept over the night before our big dance competition and left them. They sat around for years. Over time they grew on me, and I started wearing them. Though they never truly belong to me, I claimed them as my own by wearing them so often.
These earrings and I have been through so much together, and as a result I have become attached. They've been with me through various boyfriends, college, performances, meeting, dating & marrying Mitch, and raising two amazing children. They've traveled with me to very exotic places including, Switzerland, Italy, Wallsburg, and Costa Rica. I am starting to wonder if common law would apply to them?
Lately I've been thinking about how I should probably return them to their rightful owner. I haven't seen her since high school, so if you happen to know where she is, please let me know. Also, if I've ever received a compliment about these earrings I've always responded with, "Thanks, they are Liz Pugh's." It is time I send them home. I wonder if she will remember them?
Have you ever claimed something that someone lost/left?

8 happy thoughts:

Laura said...

I will admit that I have a sweatshirt from my best friend in high school. I never returned it to her before we graduated and then we lost contact over the years. Unfortunately the sweatshirt hasn't been to exotic places like Wallsburg but it does get used when I play in the snow with the kids :)

Brittoni said...

Funny I should read about Liz Pugh on your blog today. My sister, Darci, was at a restaraunt in S.L.C. a few weeks ago and ran into Liz Pugh. She lives around there and has three little boys now. She doesn't work at that place anymore. In fact, I think she is a stay at home mom. It is weird cause my sisters run into her all the time. Me, on the other hand, haven't seen her in probably 8 years.

Nelson said...

Brittoni-
Does your sister Darci happen to have her number? I really do want to return them to her. I will laugh so hard if the blogging world can reunite these earrings to their rightful owner.

Pete and Mare said...

I am proud of you Katie! I hope you are having a great week! ;) Mare

hi! my name is Lora. said...

those earrings are YOURS!

you may not cook, you may not sew...but you have 2 beautiful children and you are darling. the world needs both of us.

love your blog!

Pete and Mare said...

Happy Birthday Katie! I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you today! I hope you have a wonderful day! ;)

Allen Family said...

You are too funny!! I like the earings. You should keep! :-) But their return would be a funny story too.

Happy, happy b-day! See you Saturday!

Amylee said...

Oh my gosh! I had to post this, even though the story isn't mine:
My sweet cousin Joy (and how could she NOT be sweet with a name like JOY) slept over at our Grandma Wilson's house and accidentally left a pair of earings. Joy of course forgot about them (as did Liz Pugh). Well, Christmas came around. Our family party was filled with the excitement of presents. We all opened so everyone coul see. Finally, it was my cousin Becky's turn. She pulled out her new present- TADA- Joy's lost earings. It was hysterical.